Monday, February 13, 2012

I survived the Barnyard Bash!

I did it!  I survived!  The 'Barnyard Bash' for my almost-2 year old went wonderfully!  We had her birthday party yesterday and despite a not-so-great start with my homemade cupcake fiasco--we had so much fun!
 
 So here's the cupcake story:
Plan A: I would make homemade cupcakes with homemade frosting.  All of my guests would RAVE over how wonderful they were and I would be crowned the "Homemade Cupcake Queen."

What really happened:  My vanilla cupcakes were dry and eventually turned into hockey pucks-despite keeping them covered and adding an apple slice to keep them moist.  My vanilla frosting was too soupy, no matter what I did or how much powdered sugar I added.  My chocolate frosting was great for all of 3 minutes.  After that, I couldn't even squeeze my piping bag-it was SO hard.  My husband thought it was fudge! Oops?  I swear I followed the recipes to a T, especially because I had never made them before.  I didn't want to mess with them before trying them!  Needless to say, I was so bummed!  I spent 5 hours trying to make them and make them work and it just didn't happen!  The recipes I found were just off the web--note to self: don't use them again.  Off to Plan B ...

Plan B: Run to Target and PRAY they have 1) birthday cupcakes and 2) enough for all of my guests!  

Plan B was a success :)  

Here are a few more pictures from the shin-dig!


 I love fresh flowers!  I think they add so much to a nice display :)






Here is the birthday girl GLOWING with excitement when I put out the "Cow Patty Cakes."  She was in awe with amazement, LOL!  My little lady is almost 2 ... it's so bittersweet.

Now we're on to the Mermaid Party Scene for my almost-4 year old.  Maybe first I can sneak into my craft room for a little "me" crafting time?  :) I have some challenges I want to join in on before time runs out!

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Missy said...

I so hear you---I had a cupcake nightmare on New Years Eve!!! It was more of a frosting/fondant/cricut cake nightmare, but still....I know the feeling! Everything looks like it turned out great though, the toppes are so cute and so is your little one!!

CREATIVE M said...

Great Job!
http://craftingwithcreativem.blogspot.com

Jessica Kubit said...

Oh that is so funny about the cupcakes Jenny. Sounds like something I would do! I did love the theme and your little toppers! So cute and creative! Your daughter is adorable! Can't wait to see how the mermaid party turns out!
Jessica